Jim Foland is a nationally recognized trial lawyer having tried over 250 jury trials and 100 plus non-jury trials to a conclusion in jurisdictions across the country. He has acted as national trial counsel for companies sued for alleged defective products. At both the trial and appellate level, he has successfully defended insurance companies, businesses and individuals in complex litigation involving coverage disputes, bad faith claims, class actions, business disputes, construction matters and employment discrimination cases.
Jim is a published author in law reviews, trial books and seminar articles. He has taught trial practice both in law school and at lawyer trial practice programs. He spent 20 years on the Supreme Court of Missouri’s Instruction Committee, editing two MAI volumes. He has argued cases in the 8th Circuit and 10th Circuit Federal Court of Appeals, the Missouri and Kansas Supreme Courts as well as all of their appellate divisions.
Jim has been consulted by his insurance clients on policy language and how to respond to bad faith actions involving multi-million-dollar lawsuits and arbitrations. He regularly provides coverage opinions in complex cases. On the business side, he defends clients on claims about their products and practices, as well as prosecuting claims on their behalf when they are wronged.
In recognition of his trial expertise and successes, Jim has been selected as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and a member of the International Trial Lawyers Association. He has gained the rank of Diplomat of the American Board of Trial Advocates and is past President of the Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers.
Jim was selected to the 2022 Power List top 100 Attorneys in the State of Missouri by the Missouri Lawyers Weekly.
Awards & Achievements
- Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America
- America’s Top Civil Defense Litigators
- Top Attorneys in Missouri and Kanas
- Best of the Bar Kansas City
- Rated AV Premier at 30 years
- Missouri House of Representative Outstanding Lawyer Resolution
- Ben Ely Jr. Outstanding Defense Lawyer Award
- KCMBA Dean of the Trial Bar
- Duke University (BA)
- University of Denver College of Law
- Editor of Denver Law Journal
- Managing editor of Denver Journal of International Law
- Order of St. Ives
- Supreme Court of the United States
- Kansas Federal Court
- US Court of Appeals 8th Circuit
- US Court of Appeals 10th Circuit
- Missouri Supreme Court
- Missouri Court of Appeals - Eastern District
- Missouri Court of Appeals - Western District